Sunday, April 15, 2012

Low Carb, Non Fat Chocolate Mousse



I've been trying to lose some weight, but desserts are always my downfall.  I have heard from a lot of people (and my doctor also recommended) that cutting carbs will help with weight loss.  So I found a book called The Healthy Carb Diabetes Cookbook in my library system.  This was one of the recipes that really stood out.  I'm sure it wasn't as decadent and delicious as a 'real', fattening chocolate mousse, but it sure hit the spot and satisfied my sweet tooth. Also, if you're cooking for a diabetic, someone who needs to watch what they eat, or you are just looking for healthier options, this recipe is for you!  It was so good that even my children gobbled it down and asked for more the next day!


Here is the simple yet scrumptious recipe!

Low Carb (Non fat) Chocolate Mousse

Serves 4, Serving Size ½ cup

1 (1.4 oz) pkg sugar-free, fat free instant chocolate pudding mix
1 and ¼ cup non fat milk
4 oz fat-free whipped topping (Cool Whip), plus 4 TBS
Cocoa powder
4 strawberries, sliced (optional)

1. In a medium bowl, stir pudding mix into milk and whisk for 2 minutes.
2. Gently fold in 4oz whipped topping.
3. Pour ½ cup mousse into individual serving dishes.
4. Top each with 1 Tbsp whipped topping and dust with cocoa powder. Top with sliced strawberry.

Exchanges/Choices
1 ½ carbohydrate, Calories 120, Total Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 370 mg, Total Carb 24 g, (Fiber 1g, Sugar 8g) Protein 4g

From the book The Healthy Carb Diabetes Cookbook (pics by me)

This is not the best pic, but I wanted to show how luxuriously creamy, rich and thick this mousse is.  Is your mouth watering yet???  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment