Thursday, April 12, 2012

Overnight Oats

So like a lot of other people, I have been finding amazing new recipes on Pinterest! I'm addicted, but the good thing is that it is also productive (well, most of the time)!  One recipe I decided to try was the overnight oats.  There aren't many ingredients involved, but one gave me a hard time - Chia seeds.  Yes, you remember correctly, cha cha cha chia!  The same seeds, I believe that are used with those cute Chia pets go into this oatmeal.  There are many different combos, but I've only tried one so far (strawberry jam with bananas).  I hope to try many more combinations in the near future!


This breakfast provides a healthy start to the day because it is chock full of fiber, protein and Omega 3's.  I have provided the recipe below (taken from pepperlynn.com) with lots of variations.  Enjoy!




Makes 1 large serving.

  • ½ cup rolled oats (not quick cooking)
  • ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl or jar, cover with a lid or plastic wrap, and allow the mixture to sit in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, stir in the mix-ins of your choosing.

Variation #1 – Pumpkin Peanut Butter

  • ½ cup pumpkin puree
  • 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

Variation #2 – Strawberry Banana (I used this option)

  • 2 to 2 ½ tablespoons strawberry jam
  • 1 small banana, mashed (I used sliced rather than mashed)

Tips and Tidbits (from pepperlynn.com)
  • The sky is the limit when it comes to the possible flavor combinations! In addition to the toppings I mentioned above, you could add any of the following: dried coconut, granola, nuts, ground flax seed, Nutella, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, or fresh or dried fruit.
  • If you don’t have Greek yogurt on hand, feel free to use whatever type of yogurt is available. You may want to reduce the amount of milk depending upon the consistency of the yogurt so that the final result is thick and creamy.
  • What are chia seeds? These tiny, dark colored seeds can be found in most health food stores and are a nutritional powerhouse of fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Chia is also a complete protein, containing all 8 essential amino acids.
The craving for overnight oats sometimes strikes unexpectedly, and I don’t want to wait overnight before consuming a bowl of this healthful treat. In these instances, I reduce the liquid slightly and allow the oats to soak for at least 30 minutes. The more soaking time, the better, but a half hour is usually sufficient to soften the oats to my liking.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment